Thursday 12 April 2012

Takeaway lunch

with thanks to oldstretch for the image

I'm on a very strict diet, I won't go into the details here, but suffice to say, eating out is virtually impossible for me... unless it's a cheat day. Two requirements of my diet prevent me eating out: 
- no starchy or processed carbs
- no gluten.


Today I was in a pickle; on the road at various client's sites, didn't pack lunch, it's already 2pm and I'm late for my next client. No fast food will fit the bill, so what to do? On my way to my next client I dropped in to my nearest supermarket and picked up 250g of turkey breast from the deli, a 250g punnet of delicious Perino tomatoes, and 2* Lebanese cucumbers. Total $12.80. No utensils required.


Nutritionally, it can be broken down as approximately:
 Kilojoules: 1600
 Fat: 40g
 Protein: 40g
 Carbohydrates: <20g
 Fibre: 5g
... Plus the various nutrients in the tomatoes and cucumber.


It was quick, relatively cheap and relatively good. That's a trifecta that's often hard to come by. I was able to wrap a couple of tomatoes in the turkey and enjoy those together with a bite of the cucumber. Delicious. Not entirely a perfect meal, but I can make up for it's deficiencies later in the day.


Let me know what you think in the comments. What quick, healthy snacks can you pick up on the run?

No comments:

Post a Comment